What can be better than a mix of impression of antiquity and sea tenderness? Greece is an answer for you, no matter what you prefer: beach rest or city walks. If you want to feel a real Greek atmosphere, you have to go there by car. An independent trip around the country will give you an unforgettable experience, because it's possible to visit lots of areas and sights.
In this article you will find a detailed route plan, greek life hacks and everything needed to know.
First of all, you have to rent a car. Use our service GetRentaCar to find a suitable option. Make simple steps: register on a website, upload necessary documents and choose an offer in your city. Make it in advance to save time on vacation. You can find different car offers in Athens. For example, Hyundai i10 is €34 per day, Citroen C3 is €50 per day, BMW X1 is €110 per day. We suggest a 5% discount for the first order. Use promocode VALENTINA5 to get a 5% discount on GetRentacar.com
- Our trip will take 10 days. During this time you will visit 6 cities: Thessaloniki, Corfu, Kalabaka, Delphi, Itea, Athens. The distance is 1 400 km.
- Greek roads have a high-level quality so there is no need in SUV.
- Greece isn't a good English speaker, especially in a village. It's better to learn some common phrases in Greek before going there.
- There are toll roads in our plan. For example, the Athens highway has two toll sections: €1.95 and €3.25. Manage your budget carefully.
- Different fuel stations have different prices. For example, gasoline in Athens is €1.58, in Corfu is €1.69.
- There are lots of ferry crossings. By the way, they are quite expensive. For example, Igoumenitsa-Kerkyra is €11 for a person and €40 for a car.
- Now we are ready to check the cities.
Thessaloniki is the northern capital of Greece. Here is the center of culture, which is full of antique sights. Also the city has many resorts.
Fine places to visit in Thessaloniki:
- The Church of Saint Demetrius
- Arch of Galerius and Rotunda
- Kastra walls
- White Tower
Our next step is the large port in Igoumenitsa. There we will take a ferry and go to Korfu.
This Mediterranean island is called a small paradise, and it is not surprising: there are incredible orange and olive gardens, welcoming citizens and fine home-made wine. Everything here is created for enjoyment.
The most attractive locations in Corfu are
- Kanoni and Mouse Island
- Achillion Palace
- Old Fortress
- Spianada Square
- Town Hall
After all, we have to take a ferry again to Greece mainland.
Kalambaka is a town watched by the surreal rock formations of Meteora. With wisps of greenery, these gigantic sandstone and conglomerate pillars are up to 400 metres high and topped with monasteries that make up a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
You may have heard that Delphi is called «The world’s center». According to Greek mythology, Zeus left two eagles to fly, one to the East and one to the West, and they met in Delphi, making it the center of the world. Nevertheless Delphi has a beautiful nature, mountain landscape and almond trees blooming in spring.
Itea is a small waterfront town. The view of waters and imposing mountains in the horizon make for a pleasant seaside stroll or coffee spot. Another interesting fact: the local Amfissa olive trees are protected by UNESCO.
Athens is now definitely one of the best cities to visit in Greece. It's worth visiting Athens today for both its ancient treasures and its modern delights.
Best places to visit in 2 days:
- Acropolis at dusk
- Parthenon in Athens
- Theatre of Dionysus
- Tower of the Winds in the Roman Agora
- Views from Mount Lycabettus
- Panathenaic Stadium
Greece is among the most popular tourist destinations in the world. Visitors flock to the country to experience its world-famous beaches, sunny summers, raucous nightlife, beautiful natural attractions, and ancient historical sites. Home to one of the most famous ancient civilizations, Greece has a cultural history dating back many centuries. The country's geography makes it a desirable destination with both beautiful mountains inland and a stunning stretch of beaches and beautiful islands along the coast.
Let's agree, Greece is a country well worth a visit!